Sunday 23 September 2012

Mod : Installation of Acumen DG8 (part 1)

There would be 2 parts to this article. Part 1 is the adventure and thoughts of getting this useful gadget installed on Green Hornet this afternoon, while Part 2 is the blow-by-blow installation process as described by the Master Shifu ie Geek himself.



Anyhow, readers would know that I was at KS Motorsports earlier the week and Ah Ho was supposed to install my newly-acquired Acumen DG8 ("AGD8") digital gear indicator. However, as it was quick packed on the evening that I went, he asked me to try again on Sunday if I was available, as the process would take approximately 2 hours.

I have read some DIY installation guides online, and it sounded quite doable actually. Geek aka Firdaus, was one of those whom published his DIY installation process; and he recently decided to assist other fellow riders whom wanted to do up anything electronics about their bikes, for a small fee.


I thought that it would be good to catch up with Geek over the afternoon, as we peruse over the installation together. Add to the fact that he has previously installed the ADG8 on his own bike and told me that it should be doable in less than an hour, meant that here was someone who knew his stuff. I made an appointment with Geek and rode over at 2.00 pm.

The journey from Sri Hartamas to Kota Damansara took longer than expected; partly because I was new to Geek's housing garden and partly because I had installed the side panniers for my weekend rides, so I was unable to cilok-cilok easily between cars during stretches of traffic jam roads.

Reached there at around 2.30 pm and the guard asked if I was going to the rumah motor besar. I replied in the affirmative and he directed me over.

And sure enough it was the rumah motor besar, or rather rumah motor-motor besar. There were other riders' bikes there for electronic installations too and I counted no less than 4 units of Ninja 650R (including Green Hornet), 1 unit of ER6N and 1 unit of Z1000. The Z1000 was there for the installation of the ADG8 and when I arrived, Geek was already programming the unit and shortly, it was good to go.

By the way, it was a really attractive Z1000 in a gold and black colour scheme; with a very friendly owner, Heck, everyone at Geek's place was really friendly actually. It must be a prerequisite for one to get services at Geek's place- that you must be a friendly and humourous chap yourself.

Green Hornet meeting up his counterparts!
We owners catch up with each other; well, the bikes between themselves too!
Master Shifu hard at work.
See, he's smiling even as he was soldering them wires! Now, that's service with a smile :)
Mine was next in line and Geek clearly knew his stuff. Stripping off the MRA Germany windscreen, he worked swiftly to cut the stock wire and soldered on the ADG8's. About 20 mins' later, all was done and he took the bike out for a spin, and gave the thumbs up.

How much did it cost? I'll leave him to update you himself. He's a real friendly chap and you can reach him at +6012-229 2185. The service fee that he charged was well-worth the price really. Two thumbs-up from me!

This is where Geek placed the ADG8 on Ninja 650R bikes.

I lifted this advert from FERNO - Senarai Nama Pemasang Acumen as per the following, depending on your location :

"Senarai dibawah untuk mempromosi kawan2 kita yang boleh Pasangkan acumen DG8 pada motor pembeli.

1. Geekmy [Kota Damansara] : 012 2292 185
2. Rahman [Kuantan] : 013 9149 822
3. Azam [Subang] : 019 2592 088
4. Jason [Kajang] : 017 3344800"


Take it from me- ADG8 is worth its monies; and with this installation, I believe I have cured myself of the 7th gear syndrome that plagues many superbikers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment