Wednesday 19 September 2012

First Service After Warranty Period

Green Hornet is now properly run-in at 12,500 km, and has it's 4th servicing done on 19/9/2012.

The rest of the servicing was at :

1st service @ 1,000 km,
2nd service @ 4,500 km,
3rd service @ 8,000 km.

Since it is more than the 10,000 km mileage rendering warranty over, I decided to service the Green Hornet at KS Motorsports @ Jalan Ipoh. I get on rather well with one of the boss ie Ah Ho, and I have promised him that I would service my bike there after the warranty period so I better proved that my word's as strong as an oak tree.

Rode the bike there after work and he couldn't recognised me initially in my full riding gear. Only after I have had my Shoei off and the gloves and jacket that he came around and greeted me friendly.

Drained the used engine oil and they were still nice and clean. Given that I planned to change my engine oil every 3,500 - 4,000 km, Ah Ho recommended that I go for semi-synthetic instead of the fully-synthetic as my bike was using. Besides being easier on the pockets, he reasoned that the semi-synthetic would protect my bike as well as the fully-synthetic given that my riding style don't stress the bike much.

I thought about it for a second and decided to go with his recommendations. We used 2 bottles of 1 litre Fuchs Silkolene Super-4 10W40 @ RM35 each and a Kawasaki oil filter @ RM45.



I thought that the spark plugs would be changed at the current mileage but found out that the original Kawasaki spark plugs would only be due for a change at 30,000 km mileage. These would cost RM150 each compared to Iridium's at RM60 each. You pay for the quality, I guess.

I also wanted to fix up the tail tidy but Ah Ho suggested that I leave the rear fender as it was, as the tail tidy would reveal the rear piece of side-pannier brackets that was partially concealed by the rear fender. He did have a point there. It would seemed that the tail tidy was a good choice for ER6 or Versys bikes which do not have the side-panniers. He advised me to sell the tail tidy on the Net for a handsome price; but a fellow rider ie Amirul, whom was really friendly and so happened at the bike shop to change his rear Versys 650 tire (RM400) made me an offer for the tail tidy. Since I wasn't going to use the tail tidy no more, I decided that it's better to benefit a fellow rider. He thanked me profusely for a good deal.

Ah Ho further informed me that the Acumen gear indicator was best to be fixed on this coming Sunday as it would take some 2 hours' time. Besides Amirul's Versys, there were another 1 Kawasaki GTR 1400, 1 Kawasaki ER6F and 2 Kawasaki ER6N for servicing, so I could understand the point.

Before I left, I got Ah Ho to adjust my rear suspension setup such that it was a firmer ride, which would be useful for the bike to be more planted to twisty B-roads.

Tires were adjusted to be 30/32 psi for front/rear.

RM115 later, I rode away from the shop and Green Hornet feels lighter and sounds smoother altogether. Makes me feel good altogether.

Note to self : Next EO serving (oil filter every 6k) would be by 16,500 km; while air filter to be changed at 20,000 mileage,

2 comments:

  1. Harga yang kamu bayar tu memang bagus. Bagaimana kerja dia- ok tak? Kalau ok, mungkin aku pun servis ER6 aku kat sana juga lepas habis warranti nanti.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good info bang.. saya pon br lepas abih warranty.. igt nk buat sendiri je.. nasib baik x payah tukar plug.. kalu x jenuh gak nk carik tool...

    ReplyDelete