Friday 26 October 2012

Review Follow-Up : Nolan N104 Modular Helmet @ RM1,250



I have had the Nolan N104 modular helmet for about 2 weeks now, and here's a follow-up review based on the limited usage that I have had with this helmet. It has been raining lots; otherwise I may have more opportunities to try the helmet further.






N104 weighs 1,640 g for a L-size helmet. Compared to other modular helmets, it is amongst the lightest in the market. Another modular helmet that is comparable to the N104 and is also in the premium modular helmet category is the Shoei Multitec, at 1,628 g for a similar L-size. Not that you would be able to tell the weight difference between the two by a wear test, but I must admit that I have always been biased towards Shoei and this is my first Nolan helmet.






Suffice to say, based on preliminary usage, I find that the N104 to be well-designed and of good quality (befitting its premium modular helmet category); and I wouldn't hesitate purchasing more Nolan products in future.








The internal padding of the N104 is removable for easy washing and cleaning, and is made of material that is said to be anti-allergen and breathable. On real road usage, I find the padding to be comfortable, if not a tad too tight. As I am have been using L-size helmets, it would seem that I have the right helmet size and the padding may grow to be more comfortable over time as it softens to the contour of my face. After all, it has only been with me for about 2 weeks now and you could probably still smell its Italian origin in the padding.






Just as Shoei helmets are 100% made in Japan, Nolan helmets are crafted in Italy. I have always had a soft spot for Italian-designed products and the N104 has been ticking most of the boxes in my favourable boxes. The paint is top-notch, although the matt grey colour is a magnet for finger stains. Go for glossy colours and you would most probably not be facing this issue no more. The black and red stripes on my N104 Action-series helmet look sleek and help make the helmet just that much sportier and sleeker. I have ordered for some Italian decals and would be adding these to customise my N104 to be more personal, when the decals arrive in due course.

Typical of modular helmets, there are double visors as per the above pictures. What this means is that you have a second piece of UV-protected retractable sunglasses piece in the inner helmet, and I find the cutting and colour generally suitable for my usage. The mechanism is easy to use even with gloved hands, and kudos to their R&D in this department.


The vents on the forehead, brows and cheek areas work well to divert air into the helmet, and there's even large exhaust outlets at the rear to ensure a continuous flow of fresh air into the helmet while you're cutting across the wind. Typical of larger air vents, there would be more wind noise in the helmet; but I generally find that the embedded tunnel system for the N104 works pretty well and the noise factor was good. But it's been rainy and I haven't had chances to take the bike up to 200 kmph (Disclaimer : Please exercise such speed on private roads or track only); so I shall report further on the wind noise factor at higher speeds.

There's also a lock when the helmet is in the flipped-up position, so you could travel at higher speeds without any fear or doubts that the chin bar may drop down with the wind resistance.

Another innovative feature of the N104 is the anti-fog plastic layer attached to the front visor, which works well to prevent any internal misting from building up in the helmet. With my other full-face helmets, I normally life up the visor slightly to prevent the internal misting during colder weather riding; but with the N104, there has not been necessary to do so.

All in all, I would deem the N104 as a good buy for a premium modular helmet that cost below RM2,000 locally. Add in another RM1,000 and you could have the N-Com system (bluetooth headset and mouthpiece attached to the N104), so that you could talk freely during riding.




3 comments:

  1. Good choice you made there with the Nolan N104. My wife and I use the same helmets, but in Hi-Visibility Voyage Yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking of getting one in Voyage Yellow too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am interested in getting one of these. Mind sharing which shop you got it from.?

    ReplyDelete