Saturday 6 July 2013

Restoration Consideration : 1993 Ducati M600 Monster

One of my readers e-mailed me if I would take-over his project bike ie Ducati M600 Monster. This was the first batch that came out from Ducati's effort towards a cheap bike made up of various then-existing Ducati bikes' parts bin; but by doing so, it managed to keep the M600's prices cheap and that translated to great sales.

There used to be many such M600s running on our streets in the nineties, back when they were still affordable; but then import tariffs and high taxes placed imported bikes to be a high luxury good rather than a normal good so the demand for CBU bikes slowly dwindled.

There were quite a few considerations that I have to think it over with the M600.

1) The reader had been attempting to restore the M600 for a few months and was said to be running out of funds. What is wrong with the bike then, and could the parts still be gotten?

2) The M600 is located out-of-state. Assuming that I hired a lorry to transport the bike into KL, whom do I approach to work on the bike? I doubt Naza Ducati would want to work on a stranded and ancient bike, and even then, do I have enough firepower in my war chest to get the old girl back on the road again?

But, it is an iconic bike- just as Aprilia's 2-stroke Rotax machines are, and if I can help give the old girl a new lease of life, that would be great. Hmmm...

I have been reading about oversea owners' restoration works on the M600 and it did sound daunting in some. Looks like I'll just have to sleep over it then.

In the meantime, enjoy some M600 restoration process pictures that I have gathered online as per the following :


...  ultimately became...












1 comment:

  1. Klu bisa, jgn ambik projek Monster tu. Susah nak carik barangnya, susah nak carik mekanik yang bertauliah, dan susah nak buat settingnya tu.

    ReplyDelete