Monday 8 July 2013

Aprilia RS125 Tuono : Specs and Such




I was quite surprised that I actually received more e-mail inquiries from interested parties towards my Tuono compared to my Ninja 650R. It would seemed to me that there were many bikers out there whom were yearning for a reliable and affordable Italian runabout, but perhaps due to the significantly more expensive prices associated with these exotic bikes (with exotic looks to boot), most bikers ended up with Japanese, Korean and Chinese bikes instead.

The most queries that I received were about the Tuono's specs. And most of the e-mails were from fellow superbikers whom already had a 600cc ono bike, but wanted a nimble runabout for days when they don't feel like lugging the heavier machines out. I could understand this point actually- after all, with the Tuono, you get a superbike look from a proven race-derived Rotax engine, in a package that could have you cilok-ing in traffic at the envy of the heavier machines' owners.

Anyhow, the specs of the Tuono (derived from MCN) is as per the following :

Specifications

Top speed 81 mph
1/4-mile acceleration 16.1 secs
Max power 14 bhp
Max torque 12 ft-lb
Weight 122 kg
Seat height 805 mm
Fuel capacity 14 litres
Average fuel consumption 35 mpg
Tank range 110 miles
Annual road tax
Insurance group 7 of 17
Engine size 125 cc
Engine specification Two-stroke single, 6 gears
Frame Aluminium twin spar
Front suspension adjustment None
Rear suspension adjustment Preload
Front brakes Single 320mm discs
Rear brake 220mm disc
Front tyre size 110/70 x 17
Rear tyre size 150/60 x 17

Looking at the above spread, the 2000-2005 Tuono was simply over-engineered even by today's standards- although owners would not be complaining. Look at the brake discs sizes, wide tires, upside down forks, 6 gears, etc and some of today's bikes are not even equipped up to such levels.

1 comment:

  1. I envy your guts to switch from Japanese brand to Italian brand. All my friends say that Italian brand is not reliable. But I really like your Aprilia's rare status and design. Are you willing to swap bike with my 1998 Kawasaki ZXR250, just overhauled at RM5,300? I also want to try an Italian SBK.

    ReplyDelete