Thursday 8 November 2012

Mod : Brake Calipers Mounting Bolts

There had been quite a few cases of superbikes having their front brake calipers stolen. Scouring through some online trade sites revealed similar branded brake calipers being sold at RM300 - RM500. Put 2 and 2 together and there may just be some stolen calipers making its round to unsuspecting buyers, and the vicious cycle continues.

The Ninja 650R's Tokico brake calipers, for example, retails at RM1,200 per set- and there are 2 sets in front and 1 set at the rear. It's definitely worth investing some hard-earned monies to protect these necessary safety devices.

How best to to so then?

1) Arming a disc-lock with alarm function, such as the Xena XX6, is a good option. The slightest touch on your bike would send 120 dB of piercing alarm raising the racket.

2) Machining specific caliper mounting bolts that could only be opened vide special tools, is another good option. There are a few types selling in the market at app RM170. One point to note is that the Versys and ER6N use a shorter mounting bolt, while the Ninja 650R uses a longer mounting bolt; so don't get mixed up. Always compare your aftermarket mounting bolts with your original ones. Too long and the bolt may hit the brake disc, while too short may cause your caliper to fall off after some time! So always, always get the right length for your replacement mounting bolts.

I bought mine from a fellow rider ie Zain, and he swung by to assist me to install the new mounting bolts on my Green Hornet. There were 3 colours to choose from- red, yellow or black. I opted for the red to alert would-be thieves that mine had been modified, so please keep their hands off mine.


The mounting bolts had twin locking mechanisms, and I trust that these would give would-be thieves a harder time to steal the brake calipers.



If any of you are interested, you can drop me an e-mail and I would hook you up with Zain. Rider-help-rider programme.




7 comments:

  1. Hi bro, I cant find your email address. Can you hook me up with zain for the bolts :) my email is eviljonz@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And me too bro...
    fighter69x@yahoo.com.my

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also need this thing,,my email mbeng32@gmail.com,,,,,last month i'v been lost mine 2 set caliper for cb400

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello, could you help me to pass Mr. Zain contact? cawanz@yahoo.com.sg need to check if the item suite Kawasaki Z series. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi man can i also have Zain's contact? degtzz@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi bro.. can u pass me the contact info for Mr. Zain.. nashriq91@ayahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like there's a fair bit of interests for the special anti-theft calipers set. Just drop a call/sms to Zain @ Zero One Two Nine Seven Eight Seven Nine Six Six, and let him know that you were referred by Andy ER6's blog for a good offer! Ride safe, mates!

    ReplyDelete