Saturday 24 November 2012

KLIA Ride @ 23/11/2012

Woke up at 5 am on Saturday and the sky was still dark, while the lights peppering KL were still litted. Thought of going for a ride at around 6 am but it started to drizzle then.

"No biggie", I thought, "I could then test the K3 in the drizzle anyway".

LOL, typical bikers to find any excuses to go riding.

After getting breakfast ready for the family, I donned on my gear and hit the open road. I wasn't sure where would the open road take me as yet- but traffic was good in the morning with hardly any cars, and Green Hornet felt very much alive with the new BMC Italy air filter and Akrapovic exhaust combination so I just let the bike run along.

 
Before long, I was on the NSH doing triple-digit touring speeds best not written in black and white. The parallel twin engine excelled at such "duty", and the panniers gave the extra weight so that the bike felt planted on the highway at speed. The wind-in-my-face was a great feeling. And somehow, I find myself thinking about work and many solutions came naturally to my mind while riding. This was killing 2 birds with a stone.

 
Digressing a little, since KTM recently launched its 2012 CKD Duke 690 at RM46k, I have been quite interested to test-ride that handsome streetfighter as well as the previous 2010 CBU KTM Duke 690R (you could get a pre-owned at app RM40k depending on the accessories installed). The 2012 looks smarter but the 2010 looked more hardcore yet futuristic in the same package.


The parts that came stock were from pretty good brand names and quality control should be assured. But typical of the single-cylinder engine, while the engine is torquey and great for stunts and short rides, your bottom may bottom out during longer touring with the vibration of the engine.

That's where the parallel twin engine has a distinct advantage over the single-cylinder engine. 

Let's continue to sleep over it first.

Before long, I find myself reaching KLIA. There were lots of cars receiving groups of Malaysians back from their umrah. Green Hornet was able to move in-between the cars at ease and it felt good to be so versatile. The increased torque from the mods definitely make riding the bike so much more enjoyable.


In the evening, I rode the bike to the condo vehicle wash area and gave it a good wash and polish. A very friendly chap by the name of Wahab came over to chat with me. Turned out that he was an ardent reader of this blog and it was good catching up with a fellow from who has his heart at riding. While I have met quite a few readers of this blog around KL (normally they recognise the bike and came over to make friends), this is the first time I am meeting a reader whom was staying in the same condo as me.

T'was great knowing you, Wahab. Hope you get your ER6N soon and we'll go riding together sometime then.



As for the K3, it felt pretty comfortable during my ride today- although at higher speed, the visor would just clamped shut (I had it slightly opened initially to get rid of the inner misting). And everywhere I stopped, the helmet simply drew lots of attention to itself. Not for the shy riders then!

Let the good times roll!


1 comment:

  1. I saw your bike. You went past our Alphard at the departure hall. I was wondering of it was you as I follow your blog regularly, then when I read this post, I know it must be you. You know why you caught my attention? Your helmet is very striking!

    ReplyDelete