Thursday 13 November 2014

In-coming : Which Bike? (KTM Duke 690 R)

I have had the opportunities to own and play with some great bikes thus far- with different brand names across different engine specifications (single, parallel twin, V-twin, and inline-four), but I realised that there was a brand that I had often overlooked although it kept coming back to my mind again and again from time to time.


Perhaps I should just scratch this itch once and for all, and see if this bike would be a keeper or flipper. I tend to be a flipper with my bikes thus far; as I hardly have any time to ride with my busy work schedule here and abroad requiring constant travels, so I like to get a bike stock, work my magic on the mods to see if I could improve the fella, and then flip it off to a deserving owner when the project is done.

Amongst some of the bikes that have passed through, or were still in, my stable included the following :












True, one tends to suffer from price depreciation during the flipping of the bike; but I derived satisfaction from the riding, modding and fine-tuning, and I get to experience different varieties of bikes, so to me, it was still a worthwhile experience.

Well, at least, I get to keep to that as long as my better half still buys my explanation.

I am now thinking of adding either one of these bikes to my stable as per the following :

The basic all-rounder : KTM Duke 690 ABS @ RM46,500


The improved all-rounder : KTM Duke 690R ABS @ RM52,500


Being single-cyclinder bikes, I know that both Duke 690 (R-guise or otherwise) would be fun and preppy during town commutes (town commute for the weekend takeaways being a duty served faithfully by my maxi-scooter), but suffer from top-end and vibrations during constant long-distance rides.

And knowing my style, I normally like to ride from Mont Kiara to KLIA at nights when I have the time after the brood goes to sleep, to both think and relax my mind. The KTM may not be the best of choice for such rides, so I may just have to find new roads to use the KTM's services, if I should decide to go down this route.

I've never had a KTM before, but I've always been interested in its aggressive design and splashes of orange colour all over. So the next question is... should I pull the trigger; and if in the affirmative, which version?

3 comments:

  1. 3LegsCoolingWater13 November 2014 at 22:15

    Man, you have some really nice bikes there! You've inspired me to take up superbiking again! Is that awesome-looking Blade still up for grabs? I'm interested to pick it up, man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd do 10x better getting the new Z800. In orange, no less. Beats the Duke 690 R anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, the Z800 looks and feels like a real super bike. The Duke 690 R looks like a motard and rides like a smaller RXZ. Even the Naza Blade could overtake it on long stretches. How would I know? I used to own the 2010 Duke 690 R (the one with twin projector lights) and recently traded it for a Z800. Bliss!

    ReplyDelete