Sunday 12 August 2012

Review : Shoei RFX




Okay, so fellow readers would know that I have had the Shoei RFX for about 2 weeks' now; but as I was on a business trip overseas, I have yet to have the chance to put it to good use.



This afternoon, I decided to go for a spin on the Green Hornet and it felt good to have the engine rumbling to life. The digital display showed that fuel was low; so the first stop was the Shell station Desa Sri Hartamas that was located some 5 minutes away. After filling up the tank with the good stuff, I rumbled away and enjoyed a nice ride from Hartamas to Bangsar to Damansara.


First impression was that the RFX felt lighter than some other full-face helmets that I have used. The air vents were located at the upper front and chin area; and worked well to divert the air into the inner helmet to keep things cool. With both vents opened, wind noise intrusion was acceptable at speeds up to 90 kmph, thereafter it became somewhat louder; although I can still hear myself think.


The inner padding had good grip and was comfortably clinging to my face. The visor area felt larger than normal, with good view on the front and sides.

It started raining midway and I quickly pulled into a bike halfway rest area. Quickly donned on my RST jacket and continued on my ride.

In the rain, the helmet got fogged up but this was easily mitigated with the visor parted slightly above the chin guard, allowing more cold air to flow into the helmet. The rain waters runned down the visor easily, therefore ensuring that the view was not compromised. Even during the downpour, the inner cushion was not wet despite having the air vents kept opened.

I reached back home after riding for a while and was impressed enough with the affordable RFX. It was light, had good grip, had acceptable NVH padding, was airy and it's a Shoei, so safety was assured. The minus point was the fogging, although that could be treated with anti-fogging solution/spray on the visor.



All in all, for a helmet that costs circa RM1.3k (including import taxes and courier charges from overseas), I find that the RFX is a pretty good Japan-made helmet and should suit most riders well.

1 comment:

  1. Good write-up. Please give us more review on the helmet as I feel like getting a Shoei RFX after reading about your experience.

    ReplyDelete