Thursday 16 August 2012

Mod : Installaton of Akrapovic Titanium SS-K6SO5-TT (part 1)

There are 2 types of Akrapovic Titanium SS-K6SO5 exhaust slip-ons as per the following :

1) HTT : this is the EU-compliant road legal slip-on with catalytic converter and noise level adjusted to be maintained at 90 desibel ie same as the stock exhaust;

2) TT : this is the non-EU compliant slip-on as it is designed to be used for racing purposes- its sole purpose to milk every inch of performance that could be derived from Kawasaki's parallel twin 650cc engine, with its noice level increased to 98 desibel in the process.

The one that I ordered was the TT version and today, I knocked off work on-time as I wanted to rush to KS Motorsport @ Jalan Ipoh to fix up the Akra TT.

When I reached there, the boss Ah Ho slid open the packaging of the Akra to reveal the contents of the largish rectangular box. After a few minutes, he informed me that the exhaust can't be fixed as yet, as a linkage pipe and spring was missing from the parts. He showed me the schematics from the Installation Guide Book and it dd looked like I have rushed there for nothing.

I tried calling the seller, DC but to no avail. Thinking that he could be busy, I dropped him an sms explaining about the matter and requested for him to return my call. After about 20 mins with no calls, Ah Ho suggested that I came again on Friday or Saturday, as he has other bikes to attend to.

I had previously purchased from DC before, and has heard many a good feedback from other fellow riders about his online trading house so I have confidence in his products. On the other hand, many ER6 bikes' aftermarket exhausts were fixed at KS Motorsport so the boss would a thing or two about Akra exhausts. Hmmm...

DC called me back later and requested that I wrote to him on the specific missing parts' no. so that he could check on the matter. No doubt his call would have been more helpful if it had came sooner when Ah Ho was wiling to speak directly to him to explain; but the fact that DC did call back showed that he was a genuine seller and my confidence in him has not waned. I would definitely buy from him again given suitable upgrades in future.

Although somewhat disappointed that the exhaust was not fixed up today, I was not giving up and came back home to read the Guide from page to page. I would be going back to KS Motorsport tomorrow with a theory- the ones that he had previously installed were all HTT so there were the catalytic converters present. Mine is the TT for racing, hence the missing part, so to speak.

We shall know if I deduced correctly tomorrow, when we attempt to install this Italian baby. Wish me luck, will you?

http://www.starcycle-usa.com/catalog/pdficon.png


No comments:

Post a Comment