Friday 30 August 2013

JPJ No. Plate Specifications


There are lots of areas that JPJ could catch bikes for breaking the law. And it so happened that there was a massive Ops JPJ at the Sungai Besi bike lane exit.

All bikes were stopped- yours truly not exempted too. An official came to be and told me to hand over my Full B driving license and the bike's roadtax. I handed over the cards and the officer walked around my bike a few rounds. He checked my no plates, signal indicators, exhaust system, etc.

There was lots of revving around from the other bikes too. There was a summons table at the sidewalk in front of Petron, and any non-permitted modifications done to the bike would require the biker to be issued with the summon and a date for re-checking the bike's de-modification at JPJ.

My bike passed almost all the checkings- it had side mirrors (checked), the LED indicators worked (checked), the revving produced a constant exhaust note that was not too loud (checked) but problem came when he began to measure the alphabets and nos on the no plate.

The rear no plate passed the test, but the front one was too small. It had to be Height x Width at 4 cm x 3 cm, but my front no plate was approximately 3 cm x 2 cm. As such, the officer told me that I would have to send my bike to JPJ with a new approved-size no plate attached, within 10 days' time.

Herein lies the problem. I had scheduled an overseas business trip next week and would be unable to take time to go to JPJ. I explained nicely to him and he considered my dilemma.

In the meantime, another 2 officers walked over to us and one of them asked me what model was my bike. Before I could answer, the pondering officer told them that it was a Tuono 1000R, judging from the stock stickers on my bike. Another officer volunteered that it was a RS250, pointing that the twin shotgun exhaust pipes were a giveaway. The officer whom asked the question earlier, then asked me how much did the bike cost.

I shrugged my shoulders and told him that I had bought the bike second-hand and that it could cost around RM28k brand new. The first officer then remarked that it was a steal of a price for a real Italian machine like this. The 3 officers chatted with me for another few mins, then the first officer handed me back my cards and told me that he's letting me off with a slap on the wrist and that I need to change the no plate soonest possible by myself. I told him that I would do that soon.

With that, I shook hands with the officers and went on my way. Had I been on my Ninja 650R or TX200G that were more common bikes and therefore not as interesting to the officers, it could have been a different ballgame altogether.

Phew...

No comments:

Post a Comment